Thursday, February 26, 2009

Chicago by Fork Volume 3

Place: Yang Chinese
Foods: Burgers.......duh chinese!


Yang's was a place designed for takeout and was very small. Still, we had seats and room enough.

We started off with crab ragoons. Photobucket

They are eggroll wrappers, stuffed with cream cheese and crab meat. It's not rolled, it's pinched into kinda a dumpling and deep fried. It was so crispy and had tons of cream cheese. I couldn't really taste the crab, but hey! deep fried cream cheese is good to me!

All the food is served family style, so we got four dishes and split them.

Our 1st dish was seafood fried rice with scallops, shrimp, and Krab( imitation crab). I, personally, looove fried rice. I could eat fried rice with any meat or just veggies! So I was looking forward to this. I prefer my rice a little less fried. I like it kinda moist and sticky, whereas this was hardish and a little dry. The Krab was buttery and flaky. It was very juicy and I enjoyed the flavor. The shrimp was a little overcooked for me too. It was huge shrimpses but they were a little rubbery, I thought. The scallops, however, were perfect. Moist and tender, buttery and full of flavor. There really is no other word for perfect scallops than succulent . There were also bean sprouts, onions, and scrambled eggs in the rice to make a pretty good dish.

Next was Kung Po Beef. It was slightly spicy beef with red and green peppers, onions, peanuts, all covered in a thick sauce. The veggies were very fresh and crunchy, popping when you bit them. The beef was tender and flavorful. The sauce was just slightly spicy, just a nice "Oh" and was very flavorful, very Asian.

Momma's choice was Cashew Chicken, chicken, mushrooms, carrots, snow pea pods and onions (oh and obviously cashews). Again, the chicken was tender and juicy, the veggies crunchy. It had a thick sauce that very thick and added a nice layer of texture to the dish. But it was very mild, didn't have much added flavor at all. And while Momma thoroughly enjoyed it, that's just not my kinda dish.
(and no, I did not eat the snow peas)

Then we had barbeque lo mein which was big slices of barbeque pork, bok choy?, snow pea pods, and bean sprouts all over lo mein noodles. The barbeque pork wasn't like barbeque for a sandwich, it was just smokey meat. It was very tender and quite flavorful. The cut of the meat was great (my daddy's a meat freak, so I think I'm qualified to say it was pretty good meat). I normally don't care for noodles, but I enjoyed these. It's not like I'd order lo mein instead of fried rice, but it was pretty good. They were slimy, but moist and pretty flavorful. The few v veggies complimented the flavor of the pork well.

Then I got an eggroll with pork and shrimp.

Oh....my......eggroll.


That..........was.........good.


It was very big, absolutely stuffed with veggies and meat., It was deep deep fried, so it held it's shape when you bit and crunched. You just had to bite down, not rip like you have to with some. The filling was hot and flavorful, big chunks of stuff! The sweet-n-sour sauce was cold and very thin, so it drizzled into the eggroll and infused it with flavorful.

Photobucket
All-in-all, Yang Chinese was great Chinese food, surely worth a stop.



Rating Scale:
yummy
awesome
yummyfuliscious
awesomefuliscious
awesomefulyummiliscious



Rating: awesomefuliscious

No comments: