Thursday, February 26, 2009

Chicago by Fork Volume 9

Place: Yolk
Food: Breakfast


Photobucket

Yolk was literally next door to our hotel, so when we saw it walkin home one day, I thought it'd be worth a try. It was voted best breakfast in Chicago and the cold walk would be super short!

It was a very modern place, the opposite of Howie's.

Photobucket

While Howie's made me feel like a Chicagoan who rode the bus everyday to work and had been eating breakfast there for years, I felt very chic and sleek at Yolk. I could see myself as a writer in a highrise with a lake front view eating breakfast there. The music was loud and the view beautiful. It was a very hip and trendy place. I loved the ambiance.

We ate breakfast here three mornings. Each morning I ordered fresh squeezed strawberry orange juice. I coulda drank a jug of that stuff! You could tell it was really fresh cause it was thick and pulpy, but not bitter. And it wasn't strawberry puree, it was actual berries blended in the juice. It was sweet and tart with chunks of strawberries in it. The color varied each day, but it was a shade of corally pink.

The first day I ordered a Tuscan frittata.
Photobucket
It was scrambled eggs, red potatoes home fried, grilled chicken, sun dried tomatoes and fresh basil, cooked together, baked and then crumbled goat cheese was crumbled on top. Oh my word. This was my favorite breakkfast from Chicago. I took one bite and it was like, "Ohhhhhhh".
It was very fresh and not heavy. The potatoes had a little crisp to them and were essential in the dish. The goat cheese melted right over everything and was so rich and creamy, mild, but with more of a flavor than cream cheese. The tomatoes and chicken and basil complimented each other perfectly and the eggs were cooked just right. I'm picky about scrambled eggs, and these weren't jiggly, slimy, crunchy, crumbl, dry, or soggy.(it also came with three monster size pancakes, which were good, but I liked the frittata much better)

The next day I order the cajun shroom scrambler.
Photobucket
It was scrambled eggs with red peppers, zuchinni, green onions and cilantro topped with a giant grilled portabello mushroom. It also came with fresh fruit and rye toast(which was toasted quite lovely, still soft in the middle like I like).
It was very good. The mushroom was so juicy and flavorful. It was grilled well so it was still moist, which made it hard to cut but good to eat. The veggies were crunchy, and the zuchinni surprisingly good. It was a perfect compliment to the heartiness of the mushroom. It was great, but not like the frittata.

The last day I ordered the "Hey Ricky!" omelette.
Photobucket
It was an omelette with jalepenos, avocado, chorizo (spicy sausage), onion and melted cheddar and jack cheese on top. There was sour cream and salsa on the side. It also came with red potatoes and an english muffin.

The omelette was huge! All the stuff was actually cooked in the egg, not just an egg wrapped around stuff, which is how I like it. It was very thick, and the egg wasn't papery. The avocado was a surprising element, which I loved. It added a layer of texture and freshness that was needed. It was very smooth and velvety to combat the crunchiness of the pepper and onions. The sausage was nice and big, just a little spicy. The cheese was so melty and gooy, but I woulda liked some in the omelette.

The potatoes were sooo good, slightly oniony. They were crispy and thickand very home-y.

They had so many unique breakfast items, I think I could still be eatin there! They had pecan roll french toast (yeah, a sticky bun cut in half and battered like french toast), strawberry chocolate pancakes, a bacon quesadilla, bananna foster crepes, oreo pancakes!! I came home with so many ideas! They have their menu online, and I still look at for ideas.

Rating scale:
yummy
awesome
yummyfuliscious
awesomefuliscious
awesomefulyummiliscious



Rating: awesomefulyummiliscious


(yeah, I really loved this place)

No comments: