Thursday, February 26, 2009

Chicago by Fork Volume 8

Place: Howie's Diner
Food: Breakfast

Howie's was an old school big city diner. It felt very city-ish and non-touristy to sit there.
Photobucket
Photobucket

It wasn't a 'dirty' place but had a 'grit' to it that made you feel very local and cool. We ate here twice for breakfast. Momma loved it. She says they had some of the best coffee and the very best pancakes.

The first morning I had french toast, hashbrowns and bacon. \

Photobucket

Yeah you're seein right. That's eight triangles of french toast. Err.... well there were eight when he sat it down. I must've already ate some. :) It wasn't sourdough bread, which is my all time favorite french toast bread, but it was Texas toast, so it was pretty good. The edges were crispy but the inside was soft and buttery. The batter was spiced with cinnamon and nutmeg making it quite yummy.
The bacon was really thick and crispy and the hashbrowns were very flavorful, but a little dry.

The next time I ordered a chicken breakfast burrito. I didn't take a picture of it, because really, a tortilla stuffed with stuff looks the same where ever you go. And also, I was really hungry.

It was huge! You coulda fit at least two of McDonald's McSkillet burritos in that baby And it was chock full of stuff. I had to stretch to get my mouth around it. It came with a little thing of sour cream and salsa and a side order of hashbrowns (which were perfect with a little ketchup). The scrambled eggs were fresh, you could tell, not gelatin-y. There were big, noticeable chunks of onions and peppers which were crunchy, not mushy and tasteless. The chicken was shredded and grilled, not diced and boiled so it had it's own flavor. It was very juicy and slightly smoky. The cheese was really melty, although I coulda used more. I like cheese. It was really juicy! Juice ran down my wrist as I ate it. It stayed together well, cause it was grilled on each side, giving it a nice crisp, The sour cream and salsa complimented it perfectly, making this probably the best breakfast burrito I've eaten.

The atmosphere here was good, the food cooked perfectly, but it wasn't unique choices. I like kinda 'odd' food choices.

Rating scale:
yummy
awesome
yummyfuliscious
awesomefuliscious
awesomefulyummiliscious

Rating: awesomefuliscious

No comments: